Learn about us and introduce yourself
#182366 by gbl Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:51 pm
Hi My name is Steve from the UK. I am 36

My mother received a telephone call from a company saying her area is high for nusiance calls and they could provide her with a way of stopping them. She stupidly gave her bank details and 28 days later she received one of those call blocker devices that you can buy for £30 of amazon.

The company is called Privacy Guard which is part of LBA marketing in Bognor Regis West Sussex. I have phone the number on the poorly designed company letter and it goes to an answer machine each time.

I left a message saying that the bank has been informed to block any payments on her card as she was offered a £2 a month deal for three years. I also said I would send the device back to address given on the letter and I will do this recorded delivery and write a letter keeping copies for myself

Is there anything else I should do or be aware of?

Thanks for any advice.

(might I just add my mother has parkinsons disease and gets confused sometimes when being phoned by people she doesn't know and she could not remember the name of the company until we got the device).
Advertisement

#182372 by AlanJones Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:33 pm
Hi gbl and welcome to Scamwarners.

This is not the type of scam that we deal with, and is really more of a Consumer Rights issue.

Unfortunately, you have missed the boat for returning the blocker under Distance Selling Regulations, as that only gives you up to seven days from receipt of the item to notify the merchant that you are returning it.

I would recommend going to the moneysavingexpert.com forum and posting on their Consumer Rights board and asking for advice on there.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#182396 by jolly_roger Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:14 pm
Also if there is a Consumer Protection office you could phone or visit, I would strongly suggest doing so. Perhaps contact, like a financial ombudsman. They will be able to offer advice too.