Learn about us and introduce yourself
#175052 by Bananaman Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:45 pm
Is this a Scam?
The wording and requests seem very odd, and appear to be a scam.
But I do not know what the scam is since they are offering to pay in full up front.
BUT, they are asking for a lot of information including my bank details and personal information that does not seem necessary for the transaction.

Please let me know if anyone can tell whether this is genuine or not, and if not what the scam is?

Here is the full text of the email:

Received: Aug 25 2013, 09:02 AM
Vincent"
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Cc:

Subject: Holiday Home Vacation..

Hello,
I would like to make reservation as follows .

Date of Arrival : 02th of Nov 2013
Date of Departure
: 14th of Feb. 2014
Number people : 2 person .
Long Vacations.

Please do send us all necessary
required information and the
total price
details.Its just for me and my wife..

Yours
Faithful.
Frederic Vincent.
[email protected]
Advertisement

#175062 by vonpaso xlura Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:07 pm
Are you a travel agent or anything similar? Could you post the complete headers of the email? It looks like a spam, probably a scam, directed at travel agents.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#175063 by Dotti Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:22 pm
If it is a scam (which is certainly a strong possibility) it will likely be an overpayment or account flashing scam.

This type of scam can be carried out using checks, credit cards, or phished bank details. The general pattern is as follows:

1) The scammer offers to pay a large sum in advance.
2) If you agree, the scammer actually "pays" you. They can do this several ways: (1) send you a check; (2) pay with credit card if you have the facilities or (3) directly deposit money into your bank account. But---here is the problem: The payment is fraudulent. If a check, it will be written on a nonexistent account, or will be a check printed using an innocent person's real account information, without their authorization. If a credit card, the card will be stolen, the info sold to the scammer by hackers. If a bank transfer, the money will be transferred from a phished or hacked bank account without the owner's knowledge (or they will pay in with a fraudulent check or credit card or from an account with an artificially inflated balance.) Your bank account will show that you have received the money.
3) The payment you receive will be for MORE than the amount owed, usually significantly more. The scammer will tell you that the "extra" money was sent in error, or that it was intended for someone else. You will be asked to withdraw the "extra" money and forward it on to someone else, sometimes by bank transfer, but more often by Western Union or Moneygram. On occasion (much less common) the scammer will send you the "right amount" but will then contact you almost immediately saying that an emergency has arisen and they must cancel their reservation. They will ask you to refund the money, again by wire transfer or bank transfer, (usually to a different account) telling you can keep a small amount for your trouble. All of this will happen very quickly.
4) Anywhere from a day to several weeks later, the whole thing will begin to unravel. The bank will discover that the deposit was fraudulent, either through the check clearing process or when the real account owner identifies the unauthorized transactions. They will reverse the transfer to your account. If you have taken or transferred money out, you will owe that money to the bank, because ultimately you are responsible for ensuring that deposits to your account are legitimate. You can even be charged with fraud.

The scammer, in the meantime, has walked away with the cash, and because he was using completely fake information, he will not be traceable.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.