Learn about us and introduce yourself
#3068 by Seraphim Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:39 pm
Did a bit browsing around this site look clean, I like the displayed of your designed, I thank Emma Jones for activating my account.

My name is Seraphim, and I thank you all to bringing me here to this site of yours, very busy now BTW.
Advertisement

#3069 by Ralph Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:25 pm
Welcome

Always happy to have people come along and see what we do here.

Teaching people about scams, and supporting those who have been scammed are our 2 major roles with this site.

Read around, tell your family and friends and if you have any questions please ask

#3079 by Seraphim Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:29 am
Well thanks for telling me about this site, I think there is loads of reading to do here yet before I take another look into this website, but I let you know what I think about it later BTW.

#3080 by Jillian Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:46 am
Welcome Seraphim! Post any questions you have. We're glad to help. :D

#3084 by Seraphim Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:28 am
Hello Jillian, I was wondering what kind of skills do you have around here online, I am a bit confuse right now about a few things I was wondering if you could help, just can you tell me more about this website and walk me through all the stages of each section I let you answer my question for me only when you get back online BTW now.

#3087 by Chris Martins Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:17 am
Hi Seraphim,

Until Jillian checks back here, I'll try to give you a general sense of what we're all about.

Members here tend to fall into two broad categories: People who work to protect people from scams, and people who have fallen victim to scams.

The members here with titles such as "Scam Warner", "Scam Advisor", "General Council", etc, are all volunteers who work closely together to do what we can to raise awareness and protect people from internet fraud. We come from various countries and professions. The expertise of individual members varies widely, but between us, we can offer advice and guidance for all kinds of internet fraud.

This bit from our home page says it well:

About ScamWarners.com

We are here to protect, inform and assist victims and potential victims of internet fraud.

Our aims are to

* Identify individuals or groups who may be vulnerable to scams
* Provide accurate and reliable information to victims and potential victims
* Advise and support those who have been scammed
* Warn people about fraud on the internet
* Help people protect themselves against scammers

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#3096 by Jillian Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:15 pm
Thank you Chris. :D

Seraphim, as Chris has said, anyone here with the title of Scam Warner, Scam Advisor, General Counsel, Administrator or Moderator can answer your questions.

Chris gave you some general information about the site. My advice is to read the forum and post any specific questions you have. We will be glad to answer them.

#3099 by Seraphim Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:00 pm
Hello Jillian

Thanks for a reply back and with Chris Martins, for telling me what you do on this website, I do like to ask some good questions so I might as well fire away.

1. What would be the future of mankind against crime?
2. How would you deal with scams that people cannot fight?
3. Can I also what is Scam awareness all about?
4. Also will there be any hope in for young children to avoid scams online?

I thought this came to my mind Jillian so I going BTW now, once you get back can you answer some of these fewer questions for me thanks.

#3102 by Jillian Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:10 pm
Hi again, Seraphim. Some of your questions are not within our realm of expertise as far as this site is concerned (such as philosophical questions about the future of mankind). We focus on fighting Advanced Fee Fraud here.

I am qualified to answer the following question:

Seraphim wrote:3. Can I also what is Scam awareness all about?

Scam awareness means educating people about scams. This is important to help prevent people from becoming victims. The more that people are able to recognize scams, the less likely they are to fall for them.

Please feel to ask any other questions you have regarding internet scams.

#3118 by Seraphim Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:26 pm
Hello Jillian

Here is some good question I like to ask about your reply feeling this is very interesting to ask, might as give you some good questions for you while I am here!

Right now about scams:

1. Why do people fall for scams still?
2. Is the Scam awareness community expanding?
3. How can we defeat all this multiple scams online?

I hope these question will might interested you, do you think children learn more about the internet about the awareness online?

Hope these will be alright to ask BTW now, I will think of some more good ones later, some interesting ones.

#3123 by Chris Martins Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:17 pm
If you don't mind my butting in here, I'd like to give you my take on your questions:

1. Why do people fall for scams still?

People fall for scams for a huge variety of reasons: lack of knowledge, desperation, and wishful thinking to name a few.

2. Is the Scam awareness community expanding?

Yes, if we're doing our job right. You're here aren't you? :wink: More people become aware every day, but there's still a long way to go.

3. How can we defeat all this multiple scams online?

You hit the nail on the head with your second question. Tell anyone who will listen, post information and links on internet forums, etc. Education and awareness are the best defenses. IMO

...do you think children learn more about the internet about the awareness online?

I think many children are introduced to computers at a far earlier age than most adults were. That gives them more opportunity to learn about scams before they have money to lose. Sadly, many of the victims I have come across are elderly and fairly new to computers and the internet.

Interestingly, 419 scams predate the internet by a century or more. They used to be conducted through regular mail. Internet and email just make it far easier.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#3133 by Seraphim Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:14 am
Hello Chris Martins

Thanks for asking those questions for me about the scams, I did gave you some tricky ones there but thanks for telling me more about them.

1. How would you deal with phone scams may I ask?
2. Can you trace the number of the scam?

I was wondering about when people pick up the phone they get phone calls from scammers how can you stop those calling people at home or by mobile?

“Regarding to phone pest” please let me know BTW now.

#3135 by ChrisSmith Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:25 am
Hi Seraphim.

Unfortunately we are not qualified to give you advice regarding telephone fraud. As the main page of this website says - we deal with internet fraud here.

If you have any questions regarding telephone fraud, I would suggest that you contact your mobile phone provider or home telephone provider.

#3137 by Chris Martins Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 am
Like ChrisSmith said, that's not really our area, but I'll give you my $ .02. :)

Tracing the phone number wouldn't do much good. Most scammers use untraceable numbers such as prepaid wireless, redirected numbers, or internet phone services. You may be able to find out what country it's coming from, but that's probably not much good.

Call your phone company. If you don't have it already, you can get a service that lets you block specific incoming calls. If all else fails, you can change your number.