Learn about us and introduce yourself
#133892 by MikGlam Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:40 am
Please help me!

My mom has been corrosponding with a Reverend Rodney Moore for over 3 years now. He was first in Lagos Nigeria helping build a church then the bishop who was stealing money died. He is supposedly south african white and 50 ish years old. Now he is in London with his sick mother working on trying to get to the us to marry my mom. All of his finances are locked up in an account here in the US. My mom has been sending this man money for 3 years and we are homeless living in a hotel. But she will listen to no one. Now she has stopped sending money but he has her forwarding money to him. Please help me. I dont know what else to do
His email is [email protected]
Advertisement

#133925 by began steele Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:17 am
Mik. See this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45556 .This has to stop. The police will find out if it is laundering stolen money and she is keeping a percentage. If this criminal starts sending people information about your mothers personal details and someone takes it up when they have been conned it will not be difficult to discover. You need to speak to her about it and show the link.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#134066 by began steele Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:08 am
Sadly no. He is a young lad in an Internet cafe in Lagos. It is doubtful if he could be identified and police would do nothing. The only thing you can do is deal with mother, and convince her before law enforcement do. It is still money laundering regardless of the financial rewards. It supports terrorism and crime.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#134072 by MikGlam Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:00 am
Thank you all communication has stopped. I do wish to do something about this person. This is not fair. You said he is a lad in an internet cafe. Did you locate the email i listed under other scam forms. I would like any info available please.
Thank you
#134075 by David Jansen Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:07 am
What began steele means is that it is likely that your mother was/is in contact with a west African scammer, as most scams originate from there. Malaysia is also a hotspot for scams. Are you sure that your mother has stopped all communication with the scammer(s)? After such a long while the victims will shut out their friends and family members, especially those who try to help the victim to get out of the situation.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#134078 by MikGlam Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:35 am
Yes i showed her the link this am. i also told gave her an ultimatum that she wouldn't see me or my son again if it continued as i cannot risk anything endangering our wellbeing.We only have 1 phone which is mine and i have access to all her email accounts. I have also blocked all the numbers he calls from. She says she didn't know it was anything like that she just thought She was helping someone and fallen in love. I'm glad this is over. I am still angry angry i thought this only happened to lonley older ppl or low self esteem. My mother is beautiful statuesque well spoken and talented. We are currently just in a bad situation working paycheck to paycheck. How could this happen to her. Thank everyone. Is there anything i can say or counseling for her because I'm kinda harsh and don't know if i went about it correctly. My last intention is to hurt or see my mom hurt
#134093 by Dotti Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:46 am
I'm sorry to hear about the situation that brought you here.

Often people think some must be dumb, unattractive, or desperate to fall for a scammer's lies, but that's not the case. Scammers, particularly romance scammers, are very practiced liars and manipulators. Whatever the victim is looking for, they will become. They will move quickly and aggressively in order to get their victim emotionally engaged before he/she has time to really think about or question the scammer's claims.

Once they have their hooks in the victim, they often use tactics similar to those of serial abusers. They will shower their targets with romance and affection, then withhold that affection as soon as he/she doesn't do what the scammer wants. The scammer will create a scenario in which he (or someone he loves) is supposedly hurt, and in some way make it the victim's fault, so that the victim feels guilt and a responsibility to fix the situation (which inevitably can only be fixed with money.) Like abusers, scammers will also try to isolate their victims from anyone who might get in their way--including family members. They will encourage victims to lie to friends and family members about their "relationship," and will try to convince the victim that anyone who questions the relationship is against him/her or is just incapable of understanding the relationship.

It is important to understand all of this because the scammer is not going to give up. Once a victim has paid, he/she is a "good" victim and the scammer will do anything possible to keep him/her. After 3 years he has had plenty of time to get his hooks solidly into your mother. And unfortunately, when you came down hard on her, you unintentionally played into his hands. He will continue to try to reach her, and if he does, he will use any tactic necessary. He will try to convince her that you don't understand and don't want to see her happy, and that you are simply unreasonable. He will tell her that it is better for both of them if she just lies to you and pretends she is no longer in contact with him. He will likely try new phone numbers and email addresses, and may encourage her to open a new email address without your knowledge. Some scammers have gone so far as to call the neighbors of their victims when family members have blocked phone access (though this is a little less common in the African romance scammers, which is what you are dealing with here.) If he can no longer reach her through this identity, he will try again using a new identity and a slightly different scam. Some scammers will even pose as the FBI and claim they will recover lost money.

It is also important that you realize that she has committed a crime at this point in time. Whether she kept a penny for herself or not doesn't matter--the moment she received and transferred money (it is 100% guaranteed that the money she received was the proceeds of a crime) she became a money launderer. If she didn't keep any money, that will help, though, as the authorities are less likely to prosecute. But because this has happened, it is best that you keep the correspondence from this scammer, and if you haven't already, file a report with the authorities on the scam itself. This way, if a future investigation of the money occurs, you can show she was not a knowing accomplice. If it is making her more vulnerable, you may want to keep those copies somewhere she can't access them.

There is a link in my signature line for victims of romance scams. I encourage you to read it, and to have her read it also.

If you can post some of the scammer's information here (name used, email addresses/phone numbers, photos, some of the letters he sent) then our volunteers may be able to find more and/or point out other things that help to reiterate that this is a scammer. In a situation like this, the more evidence we can show, the better. It may also alert other women he is trying to scam (it's a guarantee that she is not the only one.)

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.