Learn about us and introduce yourself
#132362 by doubdl Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:26 pm
In an attempt to sell my car on craigslist , I recieved a text message asking if the car was still available.

The next day he again texted my cell phone saying he would pay full price for my vehicle and will have it picked up at my doorstep by a shipping company agent. All he needed was for me to have a google checkout account and he could transfer funds into my account immediatley. I didn't need to worry about the title he would have the title signing handled by the shipping company agent.

I had an uneasy gut feeling of this is" too good to be true", and his english seemed broken, but I thought it could be a cell phone auto correct problem, and then I wondered why he wouldn't even want to talk to me. So, I looked up the text number on reverse look up and it said the number was from Atlanta GA.

Seemed like a legit reason to have the car shipped. So I registered for a google wallet account, it appeared that my financial information would be secure. On that site I looked into their security measures,encryption, all seemed legit to me. So, I texted him back that the account was set up and he requested my name, address, city, state and zip code and my email address.

I responded and gave him all of the information, but was very hesitant :cry: .

Still suspecious I looked up the term, "shipping company agent" to see if it was a legit shipping company, and then I came across this blog. Thought I would post an alert since no one else has seemed to mention cell phone communication before.

I did text back and said, "are you aware that ur communication regarding this sale mimics an online scam report?" He said:" What? no am not aware. But this means is efficient."

I am pretty sure my financial information is secure,and I deleted the google wallet account, however my name and address could be used and I am concerned for my safety. Does anyone have ANY suggestions or comments on what I should do now because of the information I did share?

The texts came from this number : 706-431-3860
Advertisement

#132364 by doubdl Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:46 pm
Just wanted to leave additional information after reading another post from todays blog,

The texter did send me a link to the google check out site, but I (Thank the Lord), went to my computer and made an account using the google site not the address link they provided. There was no blue button for connecting, hopefully they haven't hacked into the real google wallet check out site???? Ugggggg

How does someone think up this crap?
#132370 by doubdl Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:04 pm
I now got the fake invoice showing the fake deposit:"[email protected]" <[email protected]> is the address it was sent from:

Google Checkout Purchase Receipt - Order #161509250?979244

Inbox
[email protected] [email protected]

1:46 PM (13 minutes ago)

to me

Images are not displayed. Display images below - Always display images from [email protected]

New! Google Checkout is now part of Google Wallet. Google Wallet makes buying easy with one wallet for online, mobile and in-store shopping. Learn more

Hello ,,,,,

Bruce Pelletier has just completed a purchase for your item. Below is the summary of the transaction.

Google order number: 161509250979244

Quantity

Item

Price

Subtotal

2003 G35 Infiniti

$3,900.00

$3,900.00

Moving Company (First Class Service Fee)

$670.00

Taxes and Insurance (not offered:

$00.00

Total:

$4,570.00

Important Notes

This is to confirm to you that the total amount has been successfully transferred by Bruce Pelletier and the money has been deducted from the buyer account which is ready to be credited into your account. After verifying the membership of this specific member and confirming his overall good standing, we have approved the development of this transaction, based on the Buyer's purchase protection account on file with Google Checkout Department.

The above sum has included the Moving Company charges and taxes as We and the shipping company quoted for the buyer (as per Google Checkout Merchandise Payment Policy).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four easy steps to complete your Google Checkout transaction:

Buyer and Seller Agree to Terms: Both parties agree to terms and conditions of the transaction, which include a description of the item, sale price and Moving company fees.

Seller Pay Shipment Fee: The Seller are required to send a sum of $600.00 to the Moving Company verified Agent through Western Union **Money in Minutes Service** Deduct the western union money transfer charges from the Shipment fee.

Shipment Fee Verification: The money transfer details for the shipment fee must be verified by Google Checkout Agent before we can credited your account.

Google Checkout Pay the Seller: The transaction is complete. If the buyer is not satisfied, he must notify our agency with the item issues. A solution to most problems can usually be negotiated between the Seller and our Agent. The Seller will receive the money from our trust account in case the Buyer refuse to continue the transaction with the Seller from other reasons, our agency will return the funds to the Seller in maximum 1 - 2 days depending by his/her location and also the available payment method.

How to make the shipment fee

Payment must be sent through Western Union service to the Moving Company agent below

Agent Name: Joleen Bryan

Address: 24 Gerald circle

City: Bonifay

State: Florida

Zip code: 32425

Reply to this email the following details from the payment receipt:
- Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN)
- Sender Name and Address
- Amount

- Money Transfer Charges

Protection against fraud and misrepresentation !

When shipment fee is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing trust account. Payment verification process usually takes less than 12 hours. After payment is secured, your account will be credited. Your account will be not credited under any circumstances until we receive the money transfer detail for the shipment fee . We will hold the payment until you send us the confirmation of the money transfer details.
Google Checkout Payment Status: Pending

Get answers to questions about your Google Checkout.

Sincerely

Need help? Visit the Google Checkout help center. Please do not reply to this message.
©2012 Google