Learn about us and introduce yourself
#671 by Red Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:19 pm
Hi to everyone at ScamWarners.

I just wanted to publicly thank you for the work you are doing. In particular the work with victims.

I am a baiter with 419eater.com and I just wanted to relate to everyone something I experienced today.

One of my baiting characters today received a voicemail message from someone here (I have sent you an email) and I would just like to say how impressed I was with not only the effort taken to deliver it, but the professionalism it conveyed.

It covered all the necessary information, was very warm and was, most importantly, excellent at achieving its aim of warning a potential victim. Simply put, well done guys, it is a credit to this website, this community and the anti-scam movement as a whole.

I appreciate all the work you guys put in and I'm only sorry that you had to waste your time on one of my characters (I actually felt pretty guilty!) when there are so many real victims to be helped.

Once again, thanks so much for your efforts, it has certainly made me even more dedicated as a baiter.

Cheers

Red
Advertisement

#720 by Emma Jones Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:01 am
Thank you for that, Red. It's great that one of our people made such a good impression, and if you'd PM me their name, I'll be able to ensure that the right person gets the credit. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post the comments here, it's much appreciated. :D

Learn about scammers' fake sites at aa419. Report scams to the Internet Crime Complaint Centre at IC3.
#731 by e6ffdyr0 Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:50 am
I Red, I am at 419eater, too and I think we are baiting the same lad at this time (that is if you're the red from Oz and you know a lazy prince in Ghana :wink: ).

Do not feel bad about wasting a warners time. If your name enters the list of Victim Warners, then your bait must have been very convincing to the lad AFAIK

I take no responsibility for the above message, since it does not reflect my true thoughts and doesn't conform to my world view. I decline all responsibility for any consequences my message may create in the minds of readers.

#804 by ChrisSmith Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:06 am
^^^ I'll echo that. Sometimes it's impossible for a Warner to know that he has sent an email to a baiter. That's why we ask that, if you are a baiter, you just send a quick reply stating so.

You have no need to feel guilty about wasting anyone's time, Red. In fact, we know that baiters spend a lot of their time trying to stop scammers and we're all on the same side.
Personally, if I warn a dozen people and eleven of those turn out to be baiters, I'm quite happy. It means that the one remaining person I've warned could be a victim who might have been scammed. I'd rather take those odds than have an innocent person lose their money to a criminal.

You did absolutely the right thing by replying to the warning and we thank you for your kind words.

#847 by Robert Smith Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:18 am
Emma Jones wrote:Thank you for that, Red. It's great that one of our people made such a good impression, and if you'd PM me their name, I'll be able to ensure that the right person gets the credit. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post the comments here, it's much appreciated. :D

<cough> looks at feet; shuffles slightly <cough>

And I'll repeat what has been said by those above, don't worry about any time wasting aspect on your part - it is more of a time waste for the warner if you don't reply :)

#933 by BlueTiger Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:57 pm
Hi Red! Keep up the awesome work at baiting! Obviously if someone was concerned enough to warn you about being in contact with a scammer, you're doing something right and keeping the lad quite busy. Good work.

#1029 by Red Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:46 pm
Thanks for the kind messages guys. I'm working hard to keep the lads busy so you guys can do your jobs effectively. I haven't actually heard from this particular scammer since the warning... perhaps he was rumbled?