Learn about us and introduce yourself
#5138 by pete the cat Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:17 pm
Once I figure out how the site behaves I'll say more, but for now I have to rave about the thread I was referred to from an NPR show. Extremely hilarious, inventive, brilliant: I can't say enough good things about it. Whenever I get a really heinous scam email, I'll forward it to y'all and see if it's something we can take on. Certainly I'll know more about how this works as I read more, but a couple of questions I have now are (probably naiive) - in some of the posts, there ares lines of text associated with small icons, with what looks like excerpts of messages. I'm not sure how to interpret the significance of that. Also, I may want to bait a spammer at some point, how do you get away with it and avoid the possibility of them hacking your machine? I'm new to this so go easy on me :roll:
Advertisement

#5139 by Dan Jones Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:29 pm
We have a no such thing as a silly question rule.

Have you been to our sister site http://www.419eater.com? That's where all the baiting goes on.

1. I would imagine you are talking about people's signatures. I can't find anything else like it on this site though. The little icon all represent different things. There is a topic about them HERE The text is usually a funny excerpt from a bait, or a death threat - we have funny trophies here.

2. Most scammers are very lazy and wouldn't dream of getting revenge, but we have a bait safe ideology just in case. It's pretty easy to be anonymous on the interweb. Sign up to gmail (or any other IP stripping webmail) with fake details. Don't tell him any real details or meet up with him and you are off scot free. Remember to scan any document that you are sent, better still don't download it or click any links he sends you. Without your IP or you downloading anything, there is literally nothing he can do.

If you fancy getting into baiting, join 419eater and ask for a mentor in the appropriate thread. You welcome pack contains all the info you need to get started.

#5144 by ChrisSmith Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:44 am
Hi pete the cat. ;)

As Newdonym says, you want our sister site www.419eater.com
That's where we make the scammers' lives a misery and where the bait you're referring to on NPR was worked from.
Although all of us here are also members of Eater, Scamwarners concentrates specifically on dealing with victims of 419 crime and we don't bait from here.

So surf on over to the Eater. Read the Stickies in each forum and if you like what you see, ask for a mentor (your own personal adviser) and start making a difference. You'll find all the info on how to bait safely and how to do it well over there.

Happy baiting!!! :D

#5146 by Ralph Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:16 am
Hi Pete,

The others have already given you the important information so I am left with nothing to say except welcome.

#5161 by Ted Baker Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:57 am
Hi Pete and welcome.

Hope to see you over on 419Eater. I use a different name there. Clue=PVJ