Learn about us and introduce yourself
#307869 by ROB1234 Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:21 pm
I got what I now realize was a scam e-mail and then a fraudulent cheque. Unfortunately I have provided a fair bit of personal information as well as one perticularly concerning bit of banking info, the "ref#" off my receipt. I have notified my bank and will be clearing the thing up with them tomorow (not open today) but I was wondering what kind of damage I have done here. Mailing info, employer, and bank branch as well as specific bank have all been given. No card numbers, no account numbers, and no personal ID numbers (drivers liscense, SIN etc) am I in trouble yet or have I managed to catch it in the nic of time?

any help will be much appriciated.
Advertisement

#307873 by Tim Atem Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 pm
I'm sorry this happened to you.

You can relax a little now that you've notified your bank and outside of your name and address, the scammer doesn't have your financial information. Make sure to follow up with your bank as soon as possible.

About the worst thing the scammers will do is maybe use your address in their scripts that they send out to other victims. You can always create a Google alert to monitor your information: http://www.google.com/alerts/

But typically, one the scammer realizes you're not going to play his game, he will just move on to his next victim. Block and ignore any further attempts by them to contact you. Be prepared to receive more scam emails from them posing as other people now or by other scammers they've sold your information to.

Could you post some of the emails with your personal information removed in order to help warn others? Be sure to include a much of the scammer's contact information as you can.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5