Learn about us and introduce yourself
#282665 by Hedgehog Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:47 pm
My father is the victim of a romance scam. I KNOW he is but I've been unsuccessful at convincing him that he's being scammed.
I've tried several times to get him to seek help and he finally has but his favourite phrase is "IF this turns out to be a scam"
He's been advised to go to ActionFraud then Victim Support but I guess I'd like some advice on how to get through to him. I think he's just going through the motions.
Advertisement

#282668 by Terminator5 Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:26 pm
It can be tough convincing older victims . The romance scammers actually target them . Have you considered hiring a private investigator to compile evidence of Scam ?

Daniel 8 :25
#282681 by Hedgehog Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:38 pm
I couldn't afford to pay anyone to investigate. We have contacted the police before and were assured that it was a scam but Dad didn't believe them. I've tried picking holes in the stories: proving the paperwork is fake and tried looking up the name, email address and ID but couldn't find any information.
I've pointed him to 419 scamming information but he just doesn't see that it applies to him. He's convinced one day he'll get the £10.5million inheritance he's been "helping" to get released.
Also he's only late 60s with no memory problems
Last edited by Hedgehog on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#282682 by Terminator5 Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Ok so its actually an Advanced Fee Fraud / Romance Scam combination . He probably thinks he's rescuing some poor princesses millions from the evil dictators in West Africa . Check your personal messages . PMs .

Thx T5

#282683 by Mike Wilson Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:56 pm
Hello Hedgehog,
If possible post any emails that ask for money and include the email address and telephone number the scammer is using. With this information we might be able to get more proof of the scam.

Be sure to remove personal information before posting.

You also have a PM

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#282685 by Hedgehog Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:12 pm
I'll ask Dad to send me the information. He used to let me look at emails and bank accounts but recently hasn't.

It's been going on for years actually. At least 6 years. The police have been involved twice and a number of times he's said he's cut contact, but never did. It's come to the last straw now and unless he cuts all contact he's losing all his children, including me.

Replied to PMs.

*posts slightly edited as I've sent him a link to this post and am hoping he'll be willing to give the information himself. He would like to know once and for all if this is a scam or not.
#282703 by Terminator5 Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:54 pm
I can tell you with 100% certainty that this is a scam . There are copies of hundreds of emails posted on this site recruiting victims of this very scam .

#282705 by Bryon Williams Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:08 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Once a scammer/thief knows he has a paying victim he will return to steal more money with new names, email addresses and various scams.

Scammers/thief see paying victims as ATM's.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#282707 by Terminator5 Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:26 pm
Make sure your dad reads this news story from 2010 and views the news video .

Romance Scam Drives Dad to Suicide

http://abc7ny.com/archive/7617743/

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/video/ro ... e-11437350

It will probably be the same scenario he is in and it shows how utterly ruthless these criminals are .

#296277 by just-me Thu May 26, 2016 3:23 pm
I am so sorry to hear about your father. :( After my recent problem with a soldier scammer, I found out that a female relative of mine is currently being romance scammed. Even though she has seen what I have gone through, she refuses to believe anything we say. We have done so much internet research on her scammer. I’ve found - fake websites, passports, bills, checks, addresses, phone-numbers. She is totally brainwashed.

This is what my family did – maybe it will help if this is available to you. Good Luck!!
My cousin went to the sheriff’s office in her town (found one familiar with this type of thing) in the Financial Fraud Department. On a thumb drive, we put all information pertaining to the scam (money gram receipts, full emails with the headers, pictures, fake passports, etc.) The more the better. He made a case and gave us a case number!
Once an official case, the Sgt. sent it to the police department in her state (she’s an hour & half away.) She got a call from a detective today and he will get a subpoena (on the off chance that he can find out what country the scammer is in.) He told my cousin that he would not tell my Aunt that her family had called him. He will visit my Aunt with his detective ID and let her know that they are investigating a scammer and her name came up as one of the emails that he has been contacting. I am praying this will change her mind. She respects the uniform. My cousin plans to change my aunt’s cell phone number, and email. She will also change bank and credit card accounts in case the scammer has gotten that information.