Thanks a lot for this very useful warning, which helped us to unveil the scam in the very beginning.
Nonetheless, we pretended to do everything what the guy wanted, and we could collect a useful load of information!
1) same email from "firstname.lastname@example.org
", a free email service of the Czech Replublic, original IP address "22.214.171.124
" resolving to Lagos, Nigeria
. Reply to address set to "email@example.com
2) he asked us to use his transporter, who will come to pick of the goods for him, street address and phone number in Greece, both correct from a technical point of View, just have a look at Google Street View for the fun.Jay Store
Address:347,Gravias Street plot 5,
City : Athens
Postal Code: 10678
Telephone: +30 210 704 3551
3) the guy wanted us to charge his credit card of the invoiced amount + EUR ###, for his "transporter
" + EUR ## for us for being so nice to do this service!
4) the guy sent us no less than two VISA
credit cards on his name "Jay Moore
", and asked us to split the payment in 2 times 2 payments on each card… We called immediately our credit card service to declare this two card numbers as suspicious.
5) we made the guy believe these two cards didn't work, and boom, his came back right away we three other VISA
credit cards, holders "Jay Moore
" and two fictional colleagues of him "Elizabeth Suraci
" and "Randy Rosselle
6) he phoned us, yes!, in our office, using a Nigerian mobile phone number "+234 80 24 24 3988
" (carrier Econet Wireless Nigeria Ltd.) which confirmed us his location in this country, as identified from the source code of his first email.
7) we pretended we charged the cards, and asked him how to do with the delivery, he sent us the coordinates of his "trasnsporter", who is supposed to be based in the UK. Again, have a look at Google Street View. Only empty halls.GLOBA LOGISTIC SHIPPER (yes, with the typo)
Global Logistics Shipping, Inc.
100 CLEMENTS ROAD
Zip Code: SE16 4DG
we phoned the english number "+447031802622
", asked if we were at "Global Logistics Shipping", the person of the phone was very hesitating, a certain "Lary
", the connection was very poor. I guess this number is forwarded to another phone line in Nigeria, to an accomplice. This person didn't quite understand anything, barely admitted to be of the designed company, he said he will call us back, but he didn't do. He only contacted us by email afterward.
9) the scammer called us and mailed us a couple of more times, asking what's up with arranging the shipment, and requested us to pay is transporter via Wester Union, with the following details, saying the transporter will come to pickup the goods soon after.NAME : DAVID GUINNESS
Address: 100 CLEMENTS ROAD
Zip Code: SE16 4DG
10) At this point we had quite a lot of details and no more time to spend, so we wrote him a message to kindly explain him we knew about the scam from the beginning!