Room for Rent and other rental scams
#90290 by Michelle Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:34 am
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Gu Home <[email protected]> wrote:
Good Day,

Please excuse my late reply but I couldn't respond earlier. I'm using 5 years in West Africa,so I'm not giving it out for month alone but for years.I and my wife had an accident when we were in state,and i lost her during the accident,And also i almost lost my hearing along the incident so please if you know you are going to rent my house kindly take good care of it. My name is Robert Reiter.

The House has 3 bedrooms and 2 Bathrooms. The rent is $950 /month and it includes the utilities. I am the owner of the House, Now I live in West Africa( Nigeria ) right now and I came to West Africa under (WHO) World Health Organization(WHO).. WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.Visit our website for more information if you also want to make an impact to the world. http://www.who.int/about/en/. I hope you will promise me to take very good care of the House.. The House is very big and nice and it is in a nice area I have received many proposals today for my property.

Hope you are okay with the price of $950 per month and the security Deposit is $700.Get back to me for the rental application.You can go and view the house anytime.I want you to know that i have decided not to rent my house with the property management and also you can move in with your pets..

Here is the address bellow:

Address: 1623 95th Street Southwest,
City: Everett
State: WA

pets allowed

My contact Number for further discussion............ +234-803-653-0161 or 011-234-803-653-0161

Thanks and remain blessed

Robert Reiter

Gu Home <[email protected]> Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Reply-To: Gu Home <[email protected]>
To:

Hello Michelle,

Thanks for filling the rental application form,I really appreciate you doing that,I want you to know that I am really grateful that finally someone will be renting my house so hope i am doing the right thing trusting you with my property.

I want it to come to your notice that i spent a lot on this property so one thing i can assure you is that you will never regret renting from me and I have concluded on accepting only the first month $700 and the security deposit fees which is $700 to enable me secure the house till you are ready to move so the deposit will be needed as soon as possible so as to proceed with the arrangement of the keys and documents been delivered at your current address,so i will urge you to verify the address where you want the package to be delivered so that they will be no mistake shipping it to you via FEDEX.

I will be on vacation first week of November This year so i will be coming to check on you so hope you stick to your words,you will be making the deposit via western union money transfer Outlet near so get back to me with the nearest store location near you.

I need to know how soon you can have the deposit sent to me so as to forward you the payment instruction to make the western union payment.

I advise you give me a call as soon as you get this Email +234-803-653-0161 or 011-234-803-653-0161.

Hope this Email Finds you well

Remain Bless

Robert Reiter

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#214001 by clgreen Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:00 am
This guy is still active on this email account. My ex-wife almost got bit. She's smart though and dumped him fairly early. See messages below. I edited out Julie's personal identifying info. Replaced by XXXXX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Friday, August 8, 2014 2:35 AM, Julie wrote:

Hello-
I am very interested in your home for rent on Barcelona.
Just a couple of questions:
How many square feet is it?
What is the specific available date?
How much are you asking as a deposit?
Where on Barcelona....?
We already live in the general neighborhood (divorced and selling a house that is currently due to close at the end of August.)
Would like to come see it - let me know when that would be possible.

Thanks!

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Gu Home <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

How are you and your family doing? I really hope i am not getting back to you very late about the House you want to rent, I had to leave the country in a hurry due to my recent promotion and it involves me working out of the country sometimes, and also out of the continent so i am currently in Plymouth, New Hampshire with my wife and daughter. I got promoted due to the fact that i was really effective in helping out during the time of the hurricanes that affected most part of our beloved country. We intend selling the property out rightly if we find a potential Tenant that would want to buy, but right now we are going to concentrate mainly on renting the house on a month to month bases and if we find a tenant who is ready and capable of doing a lease to own after a year of living in the house we would be highly interested also. To be honest with you we are new in all this because this is the first time we are having to rent out our house personally. We
tried using a Realtor but found out the Realtor made the rent and deposit too high for the aspiring tenant so you may notice the renting is different in amount to the one earlier posted by my former Realtor, that is the reason why i had to post the house personally with the exact price i know it is suitable for my home. We have made the monthly rent significantly low and affordable and we are also flexible to different ideas the prospective tenant would want to take to payoff the rent and security deposit that would not make the tenant feel renting my home involves lots of money.

I am currently working as a counselor and also relief supervisor for the United States Aid for International Development (US-AID) here in New Hampshire. Please visit http://www.usaid.gov/, and see all the good work we are doing for the country and the world in general. You can also support our mission.I guess by now you should be eager to view the inside because it is a lovely home and perfect for every family. So far, we have seen a couple of interested families but we shall rent to the best tenant according to our choice and the specified tenant renting code.

The house is ready for immediate move-in and also future move-in..UTILITIES ARE ALREADY INCLUDED IN THE RENT AND WITH OPTION OF 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR WITH OPTION OF LEASE TO OWN OR MONTH TO MONTH. I also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person and God fearing person who can take very good care of the house in my absence..we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean all the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own.So i hope you will promise us that you will take very good care of the house. So get back to me if you know you could take care of our house or perhaps experience you have in renting home.Hope you are okay with the price of $900 per month and the security Deposit is $700.Get back to me for the rental application...You can go and view the property.

Here is the Address bellow:

Address: 17069 SW Barcelona Way
City: Beaverton
State: OR

Pet Allowed

Please read my e-mail carefully before replying to the mail.

My contact Number for further discussion. Text me and i will surely give you a call.. 518 594-1861 Please make sure you reply Email before Texting me.

Thanks and God Bless you.
David Hoskins Berry

On Friday, August 8, 2014 6:29 PM, Julie wrote:

David -

Thank you for all of this information!

Let me tell you a little bit about my situation, since you were so forthcoming with yours:

I am newly divorced so I am looking to rent a home for myself and my 12-yr-old son xxxxxxxx. My ex-husband and I are in a very amicable situation after our divorce, and currently we are selling our house which is under contract and due to close on August 29th. We actually live very close to your rental house - only a few blocks over on xxxxxxxxxxx (very close to xxxxxxx.) My son will be going into 7th grade at xxxxxxxxxl, so one of the reasons I am interested in renting your house is that he would be able to stay in his same school.

I am looking for a long-term place to live where I can provide a nice and stable situation for myself and my son. My ex-husband and I have lived in our current home for about 12 years now. I work full-time at xxxxxxx and I have been at this job for nearly 10 years, so I have a very stable income.

Anywhere I would go to live, I will take very good care of it - I would even be willing to do minor repairs myself. I like to live in a clean, uncluttered home, so this would not be an issue.

I do have a couple of questions, and perhaps we can speak by phone, but here they are:

*Since you and your family are currently out of the state - will it be possible to see the inside of the house before I make a final decision? I do not feel comfortable with renting anything that I have not been able to see the inside of.

*How do you handle the payment of the utilities, if they are included in the rent, since this is a house and not an apartment? If you will not be in the local area, how do you plan to handle rent payments? Will you have someone who will be acting as a manager in case something breaks or otherwise goes wrong?

*I would like to sign a long-term lease, and I am not sure I will be in a position to buy the home any time soon. Would you be interested in renting long-term? If I like the home, I would want to stay until my son graduates from high school, which will be about 6 years from now. I am flexible, and perhaps I would really want to buy if it is a good house for me, but I don't know right now.

*How many square feet is the home, approximately? Is the heat electric or gas? Hot water - electric or gas?

*In terms of the deposit: right now, I can only afford a few hundred dollars to put down as a deposit, but once our house sale concludes on August 29th (as long as nothing goes wrong with the sale!!) then I will have enough money to pay the rest of the deposit and of course, the first rent payment at that time.

I know these are a lot of questions, but this is a very big and serious situation for me. I want to make sure that I find the right place to live and that I can establish a good relationship with my landlord! :-)

By the way - the listing seems to have disappeared off of Craigslist - did you take it down....?

Feel free to call me if you want - 503-xxx-xxxx.

Thanks!

Hello Julie,

How are you doing today,i really appreciate your effort so far,I really appreciate your effort in renting my house, I want you to know that my house is ready for you to move in. I will not be showing you the interior parts of the house because I am currently out of the state and i will need you to promise me that you will take good care of the house for me if you happen to move in as my new tenant..The month rent is $900 and the security deposit is $700.I want you to know that before leaving the state i made sure all utilities was paid in advance so the utilities is included with the rent,Rent will be handled via Money Gram until i will becoming back to the state and incase of any repair just have it fix and deduct it from the monthly rent that is why i made the house so inexpensive because i believe everybody deserves a home both the rich and the poor so you don't have to be afraid because you are dealing with a Good Christian Family that stick to there words so you have nothing to worry about..

Here is the application form i would want you to fill out and email me back to me this will show me how interested you are in renting my house.

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM

1)Your Full Name__________________________
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number_______________________
3)How old are you_______________________
4)Are you married_______________________
5)How many people will be living in the house _______________________
6)Do you have children_____Ages_____
7)Do you have a car_______________________
8)Do you have a pet_____
8)Occupation__________________ _____
9)Monthly income_______________________
10)When will you like to move in_______________________
11)How long will you like to rent the property______________________ _
12)Reason for relocating____________________ ___
13)How soon can you send down the First month rent and the security
deposit payment so you can get the keys and documents of the house
____________________ ___

Looking forward to hear from you with the rental application form so that i can have it in my file in-case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you. Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the keys to you, please I am giving you all this base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words, you know that we do not see yet and only putting everything into Gods hand, so please do not let me down in this property and God bless you more as you do this. You can move in with your pet. are you ready to rent it now or when?

Await your reply.

I look forward to hear from you ASAP so that we can proceed further.

David Hoskins Berry

Date: Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: RENTAL APPLICATION FORM
To: Gu Home <[email protected]>

Thanks again for the info.

Unfortunately, I just cannot agree to rent your house unless I can see the inside first, and have a chance to meet you in person to fill out formal application paperwork and a formal, legally binding rental agreement. I also cannot just send money in expectation that you will simply send me the keys in return. The rent you are asking is very reasonable, and you say that you have paid utilities in advance, but for how long? Do you have receipts issued from the utility companies with the property address on it proving you have done so...?

I understand you are Christian and you would keep your word, but it is simply too big of a risk for me to take without meeting the conditions I outlined above.

If your situation changes such that you are able to meet me in person to properly show the house and fill out formal paperwork, please do let me know.

Thank you for your time and responses.

Julie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After this she contacted me and I found this site as well as did a actual visit to the house in question. This is what I found.

The phone number Julie had for this guy is a "Google Voice" phone number. Goes to a bogus voicemail box. The number Julie had for him is associated with at least 6 other property adds all over the US.
Stopped by the property above. Vacant and undergoing extensive remodel. Looks like a Repo to me. Did some inet digging and it's being managed as a rental by a local Bank property management company and was previously for sale in June.
He is also mentioned here http://reportcraigslistscams.com/xzclf/ ... house.html
#217314 by Bryon Williams Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:28 pm
^^^^^You will want to post the listing information. As you can see the ad has been removed, so the information is not helpful.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/