Room for Rent and other rental scams
#198503 by Michelle Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:47 am
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Stefany Meade <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Michelle,

Personally, I will like to give you the apartment but I will have to further discuss the issue with my husband. You are not the first person approaching us for the place so I do appreciate a high level of seriousness because our schedule is very tight. We would like to conclude with the leasing process to focus on our regular activities as soon as possible. It is because of our retirement we moved down to UK in the first place.

There maybe a little problem but I will try to work things out with my husband. we just want to lease it for the period we will be out of the states. This will be at least 8-10 years. My husband was considering selling off the property but changed his mind because we still have other plans. We would like to know the exact duration you want to sign up for the apartment. We wish to start leasing starting from this April/May.

Like I said earlier, this is not about the money, which is why the rent is reasonable. The apartment had just been renovated with security access system installed. We need someone to take good care of the apartment while we are away for the period of time. I am very concerned about the state of the kitchen and bathroom. Some of the furniture had been moved to the store room under lock and key. This could be placed back if you like but I will also have to discuss it with my husband.

We intend to start collection of the rental fee of your duration after you have personally inspect the apartment. We would probably use my husband's Chase account to facilitate the transaction. However, there is no one that will show you the apartment unless we make arrangement to send you the keys along with the security access code, tenancy agreement and other lease signing papers especially a sign authorisation letter from my husband to the building management.

I will try to talk to my husband today about sending you the keys and documents but you will need to send us scan copy of your id or reference before we do that, preferably send us your work id, driver's license or state's id to verify your identification.

The insured cost of shipping is also about £105 pounds. More so, after viewing the apartment, if you do not like it, you will also be responsible for sending us back our keys and documents.

If you are okay with this arrangement, get back to us with your feedback. You can reach my husband on this number +447024065820

Regards,

Stefany

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#198760 by Michelle Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:59 am
<[email protected]> wrote:
Please find time to reach my husband anytime on this number +447700011664 for further discussion on any anything you might need to know. I have also discussed with my husband and he suggest you provide scan copy of any valid ID or work ID as a form of identification to enable us proceed with the viewing arrangement. You can also send it via this same email.